Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today I'm going to say yes


Today I'm going to say yes to my children - ALL day. I sometimes find myself saying no to their requests just out of habit.


  • "Can we paint?" "No"

  • "Can I have a cookie?" "No"

  • "Can I wear the dress up shoes outside?" "No"

But today when they ask me something, I'm going to stop what I'm doing, think about their request and if it's not dangerous(!) then I'm going to say yes.


They'll be happy and I'm sure I'll reduce my stress level. Because once you've automatically said no it's hard to back down isn't it? You think if you say "oh alright then" when they start pleading they'll realise this tactic works and keep using it.


Often I say no just because I'm busy or don't want to deal with the consequences such as the mess of painting. But all I'm doing is making the girls sad and myself stressed, as now I have to keep saying no in lots of different ways to try and get them to accept it and think of a reason to explain why I said no!


But how frustrating for them! How difficult I make it for myself to have to deal with their pleading! All because I've got in a habit - a bad habit and I vow to change it - starting today.

So yes girls - you can paint, eat cookies and wear the dress up shoes outside! Quick - go have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment