Monday, March 16, 2009

I want to do it all by myself!

Does this sound familiar? I hear this several times a day from both my girls.

I should be pleased really.

You spend the first few years of their life doing everything for your little ones and sometimes (when you're really exhausted) you wish they would take over and do it for themselves just to give you a break.



Then that day arrives and you find yourself unable to give up control:


  • "But you'll squeeze out too much toothpaste!"


  • "But that top doesn't match those pants!"


  • "But you'll spill it!"



I know, I know this is my issue not theirs and I truly am learning to gradually hand over control.... and deal with the mess later..... !

Every parent wants a child who is independent and my job is to teach them how to do things well so they can one day go off confidently into the world, I just didn't think that independence would come so soon...

I'm learning that my role as a Mommy is constantly changing and I need to keep up to date! I guess it's like any job when the boss (in this case my children) tells you at your annual review that you will now be handling a slightly different workload and you need to find the skills to allow you to do this. The goals from my review would include:

  • develop even more patience

  • manage your time better to allow for small children who take a long time doing something you could do in one minute

  • be flexible - able to change plans at a moments notice if those plans don't suit a 2 year old

  • learn to smile instead of sigh
Now, if only I could get them to do the things I want them to, like hang up their coats instead of the things they want to do like pouring their own milk into a big girl cup I'd be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment