Thursday, June 11, 2009

I failed miserably

I admit it, I failed miserably at the whole nap time thing. Neither girl is napping anymore – to the horror of all my Mommy friends! My little one stopped napping around 2 and a half years old, fell into a sound sleep at 5pm for about 3 nights, then got over it.

Admittedly, if after lunch I drive somewhere they will fall asleep but the chances of actually putting them to bed for a nap are zero!

One friend is desperately clinging to nap time although her son isn’t then going to bed till 10pm. Another friend lets her children sleep all afternoon then has them up till …10pm!

Sorry ladies, it really is time to take the plunge and do away with naps! Yes, your little ones may be worn out for a day or two but they’ll survive, you’ll get your evenings back and you’ll be able to spend time with that other person in the house – your husband!!

Arranging a time for a play date yesterday the mother said “you’re still at the nap stage aren’t you?”
“Sadly, sadly not” I said. She then gave a very knowing “ohhhhh” adding “but you do the quiet time thing don’t you?’

I tried – they kept coming out their room asking if quiet time was over! “Ah” she said “You’re not as mean as me, I would reply ‘No and I just added 5 minutes!’ “

Oh! I never thought of that! But then I’m still learning and she’s a mother of five!

I really did fail miserably at the whole nap thing. From a very early age, if my girls didn’t want to nap, no amount of pleading, shouting, time outs or taking toys away would get them to nap. I have wasted hours of their life and mine just trying to get 5 minutes to myself!

Bedtime is no better. I think I’m too soft. The books all say “don’t talk to them, pick them up and put them back to bed”

Easier said than done when you have 2 girls who have been speaking in sentences since they were a year old!!!! “I just want to tell you something….” is their latest line to keep me there. “Tell me in the morning” I find myself saying – darn it! I just spoke to them!!!!

But then I stand over them when they are asleep and regret every cross word. I was comforted recently by a former neighbor who is like a Grandma to the girls. A mother of 4, who had 2 boys exactly a year apart followed by 2 girls, she told me she would struggle through the day then stand over her sleeping children and whisper “please make me a better Mommy tomorrow”.

I do that!!!!!! It’s nice to know I’m not alone... My girls were so wanted, are now so loved, but my goodness, when they are sound asleep…it’s the best feeling of achievement!!

No comments:

Post a Comment